Background Nutrient interaction with the mid-gut may play a role in improving type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2D) after bariatric surgery. However, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, biliopancreatic diversion, and sleeve gastrectomy include diversion of food from the duodenum and/or partial gastrectomy. Biliointestinal bypass (BIBP) was introduced to eliminate the major side effects of jejunoileal bypass. It does not involve any change to the anatomy of the stomach or the duodenum. A prospective evaluation of the role of BIBP in glycemic control has not been reported. Objectives Longitudinal evaluation of T2D after BIBP. Setting University hospitals in Europe and Canada. Method The effects of BIBP on metabolism and glycemia in 28 consecutive patients with T2D were evaluated over 2 years. Results Decreases (P<.001) in fasting glycemia, insulinemia, and homeostasis model assessment were observed 3 months after surgery, were improved after 1 year, and remained stable after 2 years. Glycosylated hemoglobin levels decreased at 3, 12, and 24 months after surgery (from 9.2±2.1 to 6.3±1.1 (P<.0001), 4.9±1.7 (P<.0001), and 4.8±1.1 (P<.0001), after 3, 12, and 24 months, respectively). Medical therapy was discontinued in 83% (20 of 24) of the patients; for the remaining 17% (4 of 24), therapy was reduced to oral hypoglycemic agents. Conclusion BIBP had a favorable risk-benefit relationship and positive metabolic effects in the short term. How BIBP achieves optimal glycemic control and whether it improves β-cell function and/or insulin sensitivity require further study.
|Titolo:||Remission of type 2 diabetes in patients undergoing biliointestinal bypass for morbid obesity: A new surgical treatment|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2016|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|